You can find fraykee in many Middle Eastern stores or you can do as I have done: Substitute bulgur and toast it before using in the recipe. In response to a previous request, I found this recipe in "The Frugal _ful_ are small Egyptian dried beans, according to Smith. I understand that you can use fava beans. Who knows? maybe they are the same thing.
- 1 cup dried ful beans, rinsed and drained
- 8 cup water
- 1 med ripe tomato, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, peeled and crushed
- ¼ cup chopped parsley
- 1 cup peeled and thinly sliced yellow onion
- Place the beans (ful) in a medium pot and add 4 cups of water.
- Bring to a boil, turn off the heat, and let stand 1 hour, covered. Drain.
- Return the ful to the pot and add 4 cups of fresh water.
- Bring to a boil, covered, and reduce to a simmer. Cook 15 minutes or until the beans are tender. Drain.
- Mix the beans with the tomato, garlic, parsley, and union.
- Prepare the dressing and toss with the vegetables. Chill before serving.