Beef short rib in sweet soy sauce
- 4.5 lbs gal bi (beef short ribs)
- 1 carrot, peeled, cut into ¾ inch thick
- 10 chestnuts, peeled
- 3 cups water
- 2 cups soy sauce
- 1.5 cups sugar
- ½ onion
- 1 head garlic
- 1 piece ginger (½ inch)
- 1 tbsp whole black pepper
- 2 green onions
- 1 tbsp chung ju (sake or red wine)
- 1 tsp ground pepper
- Wash ribs, put in a cold water for 1 hour.
- Drain, put in a big pot with water, soy sauce, sugar, onion, garlic, ginger, peppers and chung ju.
- Stir to melt the sugar.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low, cover the lid, cook for 2 – 3 hours until the meat falls from the bone.
- Add chestnuts and carrots 10 – 15 minutes before done.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.