Broiled marinated chicken with coconut-milk sauce
- 1 cup strained fresh lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons finely chopped garlic
- 1 teaspoon finely crumbled dried hot red chillies
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 x 2- to 2½-pound chickens, each split into halves and the small protruding breastbones flattened with the side of a cleaver
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1½ cup fresh coconut milk made from 1½ cups coarsely chopped coconut and 1½ cups hot water
- Combine the lemon juice, garlic, chilies and salt in a large, shallow glass or enameled baking dish.
- Add the chickens and spoon the lemon mixture evenly over them.
- Marinate at room temperature for about 2 hours or in the refrigerator for at least 4 hours, basting and turning the chickens over from time to time.
- Preheat the broiler to its highest setting.
- Pat the pieces of chicken dry with paper towels and arrange them skin side down on the rack of the broiling pan.
- Combine the oil with ½ cup of the coconut milk and brush about 2 tablespoons of the mixture evenly over the chickens.
- Broil 4 inches from the heat for 5 minutes, baste with another 2 tablespoons of the oil mixture, and broil 8 to 10 minutes longer.
- With tongs, turn the chickens over, then baste them again and broil for about 10 minutes, basting them once or twice.
- To test for doneness, pierce the thigh with the point of a sharp knife.
- The juice that trickles out should be clear yellow; if it is still slightly pink, broil the chickens for another 2 or 3 minutes.
- Transfer the chickens to a heated serving platter and drape loosely with foil to keep them warm.
- Pour the juices from the bottom of the broiling pan into a small skillet.
- Add any remaining basting liquid and the reserved cup of coconut milk.
- Stirring constantly, cook over low heat for 4 or 5 minutes, until the sauce is thoroughly heated.
- Do not let the coconut milk come to a boil or it may curdle.
- Taste for seasoning.
- Pour the sauce into a sauce boat and serve it separately with the chicken.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.