- 1 lb shrimp
- 2 onions, chopped
- 2 green peppers, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic
- 10 oz mushrooms, sliced
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 1 can chopped plum tomatoes in paste
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 tablespoon thyme
- 1 lb brown rice
- 4 cups bouillon (more if needed—include shrimp cooking water)
- 1 cup frozen green peas
- cilantro or parsley for garnish (optional)
- Bring 4 cups of water to a boil.
- Add the shrimp and cook until they are pink, 2 – 3 minutes.
- Drain the cooking liquid and reserve; set the shrimp aside to cool.
- Add bouillon granules and additional water to the shrimp cooking liquid to make 4 cups.
- Simmer the onions, peppers, garlic and mushrooms in ½ cup of the bouillon to soften.
- Stir in the carrots, tomatoes, spices, rice and remaining bouillon; bring to a boil and simmer 45 minutes, or until the rice is tender.
- Meanwhile, peel the shrimp.
- Just before serving, adjust the seasonings if needed, stir in the shrimp and green peas and garnish with cilantro or parsley.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.