Makes 2 litres; preparation time 30 minutes; cooking time 4 hours. Cool and store in the refrigerator until needed.
- 1 kg venison, cubed and the bones chopped
- 500 g beef shin or neck, boned and the meat diced
- 85 g bacon, diced
- 2 carrots, peeled and diced
- 1 large turnip, diced
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 stalks celery, diced
- 3 tomatoes, sliced
- 3 mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 3¾ litres water
- bouquet garni (3 sprigs parsley, 1 sprig thyme, 1 bay leaf)
- 6 peppercorns
- 4 cloves
- 1 tablespoon salt
- Chop the bones into smaller pieces.
- Sauté the diced bacon in a large, heavy-bottomed saucepan over low heat until the fat begins to melt.
- Add the venison, beef and bones and sauté in the bacon fat until lightly browned.
- Add the water and bring slowly to the boil.
- Add the salt, skim well and simmer for 1 hour, skimming occasionally.
- Add the vegetables, peppercorns, cloves and bouquet garni and simmer for a further 3 hours.
- Strain the stock through a fine sieve.
- Cool and store in the refrigerator until needed.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.