Garam Masala (Indian Spice Blend) from the Seattle & King County Office of Public Health—source of original recipe, in the public domain
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- 1 tablespoon cumin seeds
- 1 tablespoon coriander seeds
- 2 teaspoons black peppercorns
- 12 cardamom pods
- 8 cloves
- 1 x 2-inch cinnamon stick, broken into pieces
- ½ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Place cumin, coriander, peppercorns, cardamom, cloves and cinnamon in a skillet over medium-high heat.
- Cook until spices start to smoke and become aromatic. Constantly shake skillet for about 5 minutes then stir in nutmeg.
- Remove from heat and let cool completely.
- Place toasted spices in a spice or cleaned out coffee grinder and grind until finely ground.
- Store in an airtight container.
- Use as a spice rub over your favorite meats such as chicken, pork, beef or seafood.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.