- 2½ quart water
- 5 cloves garlic
- 3 fresh oregano sprigs
- 2 whole cloves
- 1 tbsp salt
- 1 tbsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 3 bay leaves, broken
- 1 or 2 fresh basil sprigs
- 5 chicken bouillon cubes
- 1 frying chicken cut up
- juice of two limes
- 1 medium zucchini, chopped
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 1 carrot, chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 can (17 ounces) garbanzo beans, drained
- Bring the water to a boil, and then add all the stock ingredients, including the chicken.
- Skim the foam from the top as the soup simmers for 1 to 1½ hr.
- Remove the chicken, de-bone it and shred the meat when cool.
- Strain the stock and chill.
- This hardens the fat for easy removal.
- Remove fat from stock.
- Reheat and add the juice of two limes.
- Add all the vegetables except the beans and cook just until tender-crisp, about 20 minutes.
- Add the shredded chicken and garbanzo beans.
- Heat until chicken and beans are hot throughout.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.