A River of Recipes: Native American Recipes Using Commodity Foods by the USDA Food Distribution on Indian Reservations, public domain government resource—original source of recipe
- 2 cups soft bread, cubed
- ½ cup shredded cheese
- 5 tablespoons margarine or butter, melted
- 1 cup cooked canned peas, drained
- ½ cup onion, chopped
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ⅛ teaspoon pepper
- ½ cup milk
- 1 cup meat (beef, chicken, or pork), cut up, cooked
- 1 large tomato, sliced for garnish
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Mix bread cubes, cheese, and 2 tablespoons melted margarine.
- Spread half the mixture in greased 1 quart casserole dish and top with peas.
- Cook onion in 3 tablespoons margarine until onion is tender. Blend in flour and seasonings.
- Cook over low heat, stirring until mixture is bubbly.
- Remove from heat, add milk and return to a boil, stirring constantly. Boil and stir for 1 minute.
- Stir in meat and pour over peas.
- Arrange tomato slices on top and sprinkle with remaining bread mixture.
- Bake, uncovered, at 350 °F for 25 minutes.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.