Makes 6 servings.
- 1 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
- ½ cup diced green pepper
- ½ cup diced red pepper
- ⅓ cup julienned carrots
- ⅓ cup julienned yellow squash
- 2 tablespoons butter or margarine, divided
- ½ cup minced onion
- 1 cup uncooked U.S. arborio or medium-grain rice
- ⅓ cup dry white wine
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 3 cups water
- ¼ cup grated Parmesan cheese
- ground white pepper to taste
- ½ cup heavy cream
- Cook mushrooms, peppers, carrots and squash in 1 tablespoon butter in large skillet over medium heat. Remove vegetables; set aside.
- Cook onion until soft in remaining 1 tablespoon butter.
- Add rice and stir 2 to 3 minutes. Add wine; stir until absorbed. Increase heat to medium high; stir in 1 cup broth.
- Cook, uncovered, stirring frequently, until broth is absorbed. Continue stirring and adding remaining 1 cup broth and water, allowing each cup to be absorbed before adding another, until rice is tender and mixture has a creamy consistency. It will take approximately 25 to 30 minutes.
- Stir in cheese, pepper, cream and reserved vegetables; serve immediately.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.