- 25 g (1 oz margarine or palm oil
- 1 medium sized onion, chopped
- 2 fresh tomatoes, chopped
- 175 g (6 oz) carrots, peeled and chopped
- 175 g (6 oz) mushrooms, chopped
- 175 g (6 oz) green peppers, chopped
- 300 ml (½ pt) vegetable stock or water
- hot pepper, chopped
- 100 g (4 oz) gari (gari is a coarse-grained roasted, grated fermented flour, made from cassava and used as a staple food in a similar way to ground rice)
- Cook the onion and tomatoes in the margarine or palm oil, stirring until pulpy, in a non-stick saucepan.
- Add carrots and fry for a few minutes.
- Stir in the palm oil, then add the mushrooms, green peppers, stock and hot pepper.
- Cover and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Mix the gari into the sauce in handfuls, stirring constantly until all the liquid is absorbed.
- Serve hot with a vegetable stew or fish stew.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.