Evoking a red-hot combination of real vegetables, herbs, and spices from a steamy aroma, this modern vegetarian dish is great with other main dishes and keeps a bold taste with the eggplant and condiments.
- 1 ½ lb. eggplant, cut into ½" cubes
- 1 large onion, chopped or minced, red, white, or yellow only
- 2 tbsp. soy sauce, dark or light only
- 2 tsp. sesame oil
- ⅓ cup water, lukewarm only
- 1 tsp. sugar, white only
- 3 tbsp. olive oil
- 8 cloves minced garlic
- 1 tbsp. mixed chili paste with garlic
- ½ tsp. minced ginger
- In a bowl, mix together the soy sauce, sesame oil, water and sugar, pour on the heated wok, and cook for a few seconds, stirring constantly.
- Add eggplants and onions. Pour liquid mixture over eggplant and toss.
- Add more water so that liquid measures halfway up the mixture.
- When eggplant is tender, uncover and cook until most of the remaining sauce has evaporated. Serve hot and plain with rice or other main dishes.