Evoking a red-hot combination of real vegetables, herbs, and spices from a steamy aroma, this modern vegetarian dish is great with other main dishes and keeps a bold taste with the eggplant and condiments.
- 1 ½ lb. eggplant, cut into ½" cubes
- 1 large onion, chopped or minced, red, white, or yellow only
- 2 tbsp. soy sauce, dark or light only
- 2 tsp. sesame oil
- ⅓ cup water, lukewarm only
- 1 tsp. sugar, white only
- 3 tbsp. olive oil
- 8 cloves minced garlic
- 1 tbsp. mixed chili paste with garlic
- ½ tsp. minced ginger
- In a bowl, mix together the soy sauce, sesame oil, water and sugar, pour on the heated wok, and cook for a few seconds, stirring constantly.
- Add eggplants and onions. Pour liquid mixture over eggplant and toss.
- Add more water so that liquid measures halfway up the mixture.
- When eggplant is tender, uncover and cook until most of the remaining sauce has evaporated. Serve hot and plain with rice or other main dishes.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.