- 1 cup white rice
- 1 tbsp vegetable or wok oil
- 2 tsp dark sesame oil
- ½ head small napa cabbage, shredded
- ¼ lb snow peas, trimmed and cut in half on an angle
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded, quartered lengthwise and sliced into thin strips crossways
- 5 scallions, thinly sliced on an angle
- 2 cups bean sprouts, washed and drained
- 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 2-inch piece fresh ginger, finely chopped or grated
- ¼ cup dark soy sauce, preferably tamari
- 1 tbsp Chinese 5-spice powder
- juice of 1 large navel orange
- 3 oz apricot preserves (about 3 rounded tbsp)
- coarse salt to taste
- Prepare white rice according to package directions.
- Heat a large nonstick skillet over high heat.
- Add vegetable or wok oil and sesame oil to hot pan.
- Add vegetables, and stir-fry for 2 or 3 minutes.
- Add garlic and ginger, and stir-fry for 2 minutes more.
- Add soy sauce.
- Sprinkle with Chinese 5-spice powder.
- Juice orange over pan, and add preserves.
- Remove pan from heat, and toss until vegetables are evenly coated and preserves are dissolved.
- Season with a few pinches of salt to taste, and serve immediately over hot rice.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.