- 20 cloves garlic (more if you like)
- 2 medium onions, sliced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 cups tomatoes, peeled and chopped
- 2 cups tomato juice
- 2 cups beef broth
- 8 slices French baguettes, toasted
- 4 ounces Swiss cheese
- Blanche the garlic for about 30 seconds until slightly soft.
- Cool, peel, and thinly slice.
- Saute onions in oil until they are soft and golden.
- About 10–15 minutes.
- Add garlic, tomatoes and tomato juice to onions.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce and simmer 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 450°F.
- Add beef broth and bring back to a boil.
- Ladle into oven-proof bowls and top with toast and cheese.
- Put in oven until cheese is melted.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.