- 5 lbs large white meated fish filets. fish should very firm, non-oily variety. (grouper, sea bass, snook, dolphin are some.)
- 3 large onions, chopped
- 3 habanero peppers  chopped. (Chinese peppers for you zonies)
- 24 fresh limes (or enough to produce 3 cups lime juice)
- ½ cups salt
- Dice the fish into ¼ inch pieces and just cover with water.
- Use a stainless steel, plastic or glass container.
- Add salt, mix and let stand for at least an hour (this is a good time to squeeze your limes).
- Remove the fish from the water and squeeze the moisture from it.
- Mix in the onions and peppers.
- Put the mixture in a large glass jar or a refrigerator container and pour the lime juice in to cover.
- Refrigerate, covered (no metal lids), for at least six hours.
- Serve, chilled, in a cocktail dish with saltines or in small pastry cups as a canape.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.