- From "Meals without Squeals" by Christine Berman & Jacki Fromer.
- Serves 16 preschool or 12 school-age children.
- 2½ cups lentils, rinsed and drained
- 7 cups water or stock
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- juice of one lemon
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 or 2 bunches spinach, chard or collards, washed and chopped
- Coarsely Saute onions, garlic and celery in the olive oil, 5-10 minutes.
- Add lentils, and water or stock and simmer until lentils are very soft.
- If necessary, add more water to get soup to desired consistency.
- Add greens, salt and pepper.
- Simmer for 10 more minutes or until greens are tender.
- Stir in lemon juice right before serving.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.