- Dissolve the active dry yeast along with the sugar in the water in a large glass container.
- Mix and let sit about 10 minutes.
- In a large bowl mix 5 cups of the flour with the salt.
- Add the yeast mixture and the vegetable oil.
- Work the ingredients together with a spoon; when they come together turn out on a floured board, and knead with your hands until the dough becomes a smooth ball.
- Place in a greased bowl and let rise, covered, for an hour or so or until doubled.
- Punch down and divide into 4 balls.
- Cover with a towel and let rise about a half hour.
- Meanwhile, place 4 empty round baking pans or cookie sheets in a preheated 400-degree oven for about 10 minutes and remove.
- When the dough has risen, punch down and divide into 4 balls.
- At this point you can treat this like everyday or sabbath bread.
- For weekdays, press down and stretch, using the back of your hand.
- Grease the baking pans and press the dough down into them.
- Using your fingers, make big indentations in the center of the dough.
- For sabbath bread, keep the shape in a round and make a few slashes in the bread.
- Sprinkle the dough, whatever the shape, with water and bake in the oven for about 20 minutes or until the loaf sounds hollow when tapped with a spatula.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.