Revision as of 19:59, 24 January 2011
- 2 ts paprika
- 1 ts sage ground
- 1/2 ts dry mustard
- 1 ts black pepper
- 1 ts thyme ground
- 2 ea garlic cloves finely minced
- 1 tb Onion finely minced
- 2 ts salt
- 1/2 ts red pepper flakes
- 4 tb ginger root thinly sliced
- 1/4 ts lemon rind finely grated
- 1 ea 7-8 lb roasting hen or capon
- 1/2 ea Onion, chopped
- 2 ea carrot julienned
- 1 ea celery rib sliced
- 1/2 ea green bell pepper cored, seeded, and julienned
- 1 tb butter
- 1 ts lemon juice
- Mix the spices together in a bowl and set aside.
- In the chest and bidy cavities of the bird you will find some fatty deposits.
- Remove these and set them aside.
- In a large skillet render the bird`s fat until approx. 1 tablespoon remains.
- Add the butter, 1/2 teaspoon of the spice mixture, and the ginger.
- Saute for 2–3 minutes, remove form the pan, and drain the ginger, and set aside.
- Seperate but DO NOT remove the skin from the bird.
- Inside the skin place the cooled ginger mixture.
- Be sure to do all sides of the bird with this mixture.
- Take the vegetables, mix them together with the lemon juice and the remaining spice mixture and stuff the 2 body cavities with them.
- Pre-heat the oven to 250 F place the bird into a large roasting pan and roast for 4 1/2 – 5 hours uncovered.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.