Description[edit | edit source]
Inducing an international combination of real herbs, spices, and vegetables into the fresh chicken before roasting, this imperial poultry dish is great for lunch or dinner and delivers a golden and bold aroma that it relishes.
Ingredients[edit | edit source]
- 2 tsp. paprika
- 1 tsp. sage, ground
- ½ tsp. dry mustard
- 1 tsp. black pepper
- 1 tsp. thyme ground
- 2 garlic cloves finely minced
- 1 tbsp. onion, finely minced
- 2 tsp. salt
- ½ tsp. red pepper flakes
- 4 tbsp. ginger root thinly sliced
- ¼ tsp. lemon rind finely grated
- 1 x 7 – 8 lb. fresh roasting chicken, hen, or capon
- ½ onion, chopped, red, white, or yellow only
- 2 carrot, julienned
- 1 celery rib sliced
- ½ green bell pepper, cored, seeded, and julienned
- 1 tbsp. butter
- 1 tsp. lemon juice
Directions[edit | edit source]
- Mix the spices together in a bowl and set aside. In the chest and body cavities of the bird, you will find some fatty deposits.
- Remove these and set them aside. In a large skillet render the bird's fat until approximately 1 tablespoon remains.
- Add the butter, ½ teaspoon of the spice mixture, and the ginger.
- Saute for 2 – 3 minutes, remove form the pan, and drain the ginger, and set aside.
- Separate but do not remove the skin from the bird.
- Inside the skin, place the cooled ginger mixture.
- Be sure to do all sides of the bird with this mixture.
- Take the vegetables, mix them together with the lemon juice and the remaining spice mixture and stuff the 2 body cavities with them.
- Preheat the oven to 250°F place the bird into a large roasting pan and roast for 4½ – 5 hours uncovered. Serve hot and plain or with other main dishes.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.