- 3½ oz sharp cheddar cheese
- 1½ oz gruyère cheese
- 4 oz German beer (pils or lager)
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1 tablespoon German sweet/hot mustard or spicy brown
- dash of Worcestershire sauce
- few drops of Tabasco sauce
For serving options Edit
- you can use a variety of breads for dipping; the best are the more sturdy breads like rye, dark wheat, focaccia or pumpernickel
- use cut up blanched vegetables like cauliflower or broccoli florets
- pieces of bratwurst and small party franks
- small pickled onions
- gherkin pickles
- any variety of apples sliced into wedges for dipping
- Shred cheeses into a bowl and toss with flour heat beer in heavy bottom sauce pan until it bubbles, reduce to simmer add cheeses in batches; stir constantly until melted and fully incorporated stirring constantly in a figure-eight pattern with wooden spoon, add in mustard and sauces.
- Transfer to a fondue pot or other serving dish meanwhile if you are going to be using the vegetables and wursts, blanch cauliflower or broccoli 2 – 3 minutes in boiling salted water in the same pan, bring the cooking water back to a boil and add the mini franks and pieces of bratwurst.
- Cook uncovered until all the liquid has evaporated.
- Add 1 tablespoon butter to the pan to brown brats and franks and serve up with fondue and other dipping selection.
- Have a fun time dipping and talking while enjoying your favorite German beer.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.