German Stollen Bread from Recipes Wiki—original source of recipe, licensed under the GNU Free Documentation License
- Makes 2 rings, about 18 pieces each.
- 1½ cup butter, divided use
- 1 cup milk
- ½ cup water
- 5¼ cups all purpose flour
- ¾ cup sugar, divided use
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 pkg dry active yeast
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- ½ tsp grated lemon rind
- ½ tsp grated orange rind
- ½ cup raisins
- ⅔ cup chopped candied fruit
- ½ cup chopped pecans
- 1 tbsp cinnamon
- In a 1-quart glass bowl, melt 1 cup of butter.
- Add milk and water.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine flour, ¼ cup of sugar, salt, and yeast.
- On low speed, stir in warm milk mixture, then eggs; mix well.
- Add rinds, raisins, fruit, and nuts; mix well.
- Cover dough tightly with plastic wrap and refrigerate for several hours or overnight to rise.
- Divide dough in half.
- For each half, place on a floured surface and roll into an 18 x 12-inch rectangle; spread with ¼ cup of softened butter.
- Mix ½ cup of sugar with the cinnamon; sprinkle mixture over butter.
- Beginning with the long edge, roll up dough into a long cylinder, pinching edge to seal.
- If ends of dough are smaller than the remainder of the roll, trim off about 1 in.
- From each end.
- Place roll on a 12- to 14-inch round pizza pan greased or lined with baking parchment.
- Shape roll into a ring to resemble a large doughnut.
- Brush ends with water and pinch together to seal.
- Using clean kitchen shears or a sharp knife, make cuts in dough about every inch around ring, cutting ⅔ of the way through roll at each cut.
- Gently turn each piece of dough onto its side, slightly overlapping the previous piece.
- Let rise in a warm place, uncovered, for one hour.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Bake each ring 25 – 30 minutes until light golden brown.
- Remove from oven, loosen ring from pan, and slide ring onto cooling rack.
- Combine icing ingredients, except cherry halves, and drizzle or brush icing over ring.
- Decorate with candied cherry halves.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.