- 1½ lbs Idaho potatoes
- ¼ cup onion, finely chopped
- 1 tsp salt
- ¼ tsp freshly ground pepper
- 1 tbsp margarine
- Pare potatoes with a vegetable peeler.
- Grate potatoes on medium grater into a large bowl.
- Add onion, salt, and pepper and mix lightly but well with a blending fork.
- Melt margarine in a 10-inch frying pan and rotate to coat bottom and sides of pan.
- Turn potatoes into pan; pat down and spread evenly.
- Cover pan tightly; turn heat low and let cook about 15 minutes or underside is browned.
- Take pan off heat temporarily.
- Put a 12-inch plate (or very large pie plate) upside down on top of potatoes and, with one hand handle of frying pan and the other hand guiding the plate, turn frying pan upside down, then lift off the pancake.
- This put the pancake back on the plate.
- Next, immediately slide pancake back into the frying pan, browned side up.
- Return to low heat.
- Do not cover.
- Let cook for another 15 minutes or until bottom is browned.
- To serve, cut evenly into 6 pie-shaped wedges.
Nutritional information Edit
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.