- 2 x 8-oz pkg. tempeh, cubed and steamed
- ⅛ tsp crushed red pepper, or to taste
- 1 tbsp minced dried garlic
- 2 tbsp grated fresh ginger
- 1 medium-sized red onion, chopped
- ½ cup chopped red bell pepper
- ⅔ cup diced vegetarian “pepperoni”
- 1 cup diced carrots
- 3 medium-sized Japanese eggplants, thinly sliced
- 8 oz. portobello mushrooms, diced
- ½ cup dry sherry
- 2 tbsp tamari soy sauce
- 2 cups halved cherry tomatoes
- 8 x 4-inch round whole wheat pita pockets, partially split
- Steam cubed tempeh for 15 minutes.
- Remove tempeh from heat, and set aside.
- Spray a large regular or electric skillet with olive oil cooking spray, and heat crushed pepper and dried garlic over medium-high heat for 1 minute.
- Add ginger, onion, bell pepper and “pepperoni” sauté for 2 minutes, and add carrots and eggplant.
- Cook, stirring often, for 3 minutes.
- Crumble tempeh into pan, and add mushrooms.
- Cook mixture for 5 minutes, stirring often to prevent sticking.
- Add sherry, tamari soy sauce and tomatoes, reduce heat to low and cook for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Divide into equal portions, and fill pita pockets.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.