Contributed by World Recipes Y-Group
- Makes 12 cupcakes
- 1¼ cups flour
- 1½ tsp ground ginger
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- ¼ tsp ground cloves
- ½ tsp allspice
- ¼ tsp salt
- ½ stick + 2 tbsp unsalted butter
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- ½ cup molasses
- 1 large egg, beaten lightly
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 8 oz cream cheese, softened
- 1½ cup confectioners' sugar
- ½ tsp vanilla
- 1 tsp grated lemon zest
- 2 tsp fresh lemon juice
- 1 tbsp sliced crystallized ginger
- Into a bowl sift together the flour, the ground ginger, the cinnamon, the cloves, the allspice, and the salt.
- In another bowl cream ½ stick of the butter, add the granulated sugar, and beat the mixture until it is fluffy.
- Beat in the molasses and the egg, beating until the mixture is smooth.
- In a measuring cup combine the baking soda with ½ cup boiling water and stir the mixture to dissolve the baking soda.
- Stir the mixture into the molasses mixture (the mixture will appear curdled) and stir the molasses mixture into the flour mixture, stirring to combine the ingredients well.
- Line twelve ½-cup muffin tins with paper liners and spoon the batter into the liners, filling them halfway.
- Bake the cupcakes in the middle of a preheated 350°F oven for 20 minutes, or until a tester comes out clean (the cupcakes will be flat or slightly indented on top)
- Transfer the cupcakes to a rack and let them cool.
- In a bowl cream together the cream cheese and the remaining 2 tablespoons butter, add the confectioners' sugar and the vanilla, and beat the mixture until it is fluffy and smooth.
- Beat in the zest and the lemon juice and chill the frosting for 30minutes.
- Frost the cupcakes and top each with some ginger.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.