Meet the Cook: Whenever our family gets together for the holidays, this is what I'm asked to bring. I've made it for parties, too, and there have never been leftovers after. Our two children - 5 and 3 - both love visiting their grandparents' farm! -Bernadette Colvin, Houston, Texas
- Contributed by Catsrecipes Y-Group
- Yield: 10 servings.
- Method: Baked
- Time: Prep: 25 min. Bake: 10 min. + cooling
- 3 eggs, separated
- ½ cup molasses
- 1 tablespoon butter or margarine, melted
- ¼ cup sugar
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon each ground cinnamon, ginger and cloves
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
Spiced cream filling Edit
- 1½ cups whipping cream
- ⅓ cup confectioners' sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¼ teaspoon ground cloves
- additional ground cinnamon, optional
- In a mixing bowl, beat yolks on high until thickened, about 3 minutes.
- Beat in molasses and butter.
- In another bowl, beat whites until foamy; gradually add sugar, beating until soft peaks form.
- Fold into yolk mixture.
- Combine dry ingredients; gently fold into egg mixture until well mixed.
- Line a greased 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. baking pan with waxed paper; grease and flour paper.
- Spread batter into pan. Bake at 375 °F for 9-12 minutes or until cake springs back when lightly touched.
- Turn onto a linen towel dusted with confectioners' sugar. Peel off paper and roll cake up in towel, starting with short end. Cool on a wire rack.
- Meanwhile, beat the first five filling ingredients in a mixing bowl until soft peaks form.
- Unroll cake; spread with half the filling. Roll up. Spread remaining filling over cake. Sprinkle with cinnamon if desired.
Nutrition Facts Edit
One serving: (1 slice) Calories: 282 Fat: 16 g Saturated Fat: 9 g Cholesterol: 116 mg Sodium: 112 mg Carbohydrate: 31 g Fiber: 1 g Protein: 4 g