- 3 eggs
- ½ pint water or milk
- 4 ounces sweet-chestnut purée
- 4 ounces rice flour
- 4 ounces cornmeal
- pinch salt to taste
- ½ teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- ¼ teaspoon tartaric acid
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ½ ounce sugar
- Beat the eggs, sweet-chestnut purée, oil and milk together.
- Mix all the dry ingredients.
- Then quickly mix the wet and dry ingredients together.
- You can usefully leave the mixture to stand for a couple of hours before cooking.
- Cook on an iron griddle in the traditional way or heat a strong frying pan with enough oil to coat the bottom but no more.
- The oil should not be hot enough to smoke.
- Drop spoonfuls of the mixture into the pan.
- After a few moments turn and flatten the pancakes slightly - they will rise again.
- Cook until both sides are light brown.
- Serve hot with butter and jam.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.