Description[edit | edit source]
Contributed by Healthy Recipes for Diabetic Friends Y-Group
- From: Diabetic Living Diet Online
- Prep Time: 45 minutes | Cook Time: 25 minutes | Rest Time: 5 minutes | Total Time: 1 hour 10 minutes
- Servings: 4
Ingredients[edit | edit source]
- cooking spray
- 1 lb eggplant
- ½ lb lean ground beef
- 8 oz tomato sauce with basil, garlic, and oregano
- ⅛ tsp cinnamon, ground
- 2 tbsp butter
- 2 tbsp all-purpose flour
- ¼ tsp salt
- dash black pepper, ground
- ½ cup fat-free milk
- ½ cup low-fat plain yogurt
- ½ cup low-fat ricotta cheese
- ⅓ cup refrigerated or frozen egg product, thawed
- Parmesan cheese
Directions[edit | edit source]
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Lightly coat a very large nonstick skillet with cooking spray; heat over medium-high heat.
- Add eggplant; cook about 6 minutes or until tender, stirring frequently. Set aside.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet, cook ground meat until browned.
- Drain off fat.
- Stir in tomato sauce and ⅛ teaspoon cinnamon.
- Bring to boiling; reduce heat.
- Simmer, uncovered, about 8 minutes or until sauce thickens, stirring occasionally.
- Divide meat mixture among 4 individual 12- to 14-ounce au gratin or baking dishes.
- Top with eggplant.
- In a small saucepan melt butter.
- Stir in the flour, salt, and pepper.
- Add milk and yogurt all at once.
- Cook and stir over medium heat until thickened and bubbly; remove from heat.
- Stir in ricotta cheese.
- Stir in egg product.
- Spoon atop eggplant.
- Sprinkle lightly with additional ground cinnamon.
- Bake, uncovered, about 25 minutes or until heated through.
- Top with Parmesan, if desired.
- Let stand 5 minutes before serving.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.