- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 jalapeno chili -- seeded and minced
- 1 tbsp minced fresh ginger
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 2 tsp ground coriander
- ½ tsp turmeric
- ¼ tsp ground cinnamon
- 7 cup water (or more)
- 1 large sweet potato, peeled, diced
- 1½ cup dried yellow split peas
- 6 tbsp nonfat yogurt
- 6 lime slices
- fresh cilantro, chopped
- Heat oil in heavy large saucepan over medium-high heat.
- Add onion and chile; saute until tender, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in ginger and next 4 ingredients and cook 1 minute.
- Mix in 7 cups water, sweet potato and peas.
- Bring mixture to boil.
- Reduce heat to medium-low, cover and simmer until potato and split peas are very tender, about 1½ hours.
- Whisk soup vigorously for smoother texture.
- Thin with additional water if necessary.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- (can be prepared 1 day ahead.
- Return soup to simmer.
- Ladle soup into bowls.
- Top each with 1 tablespoon yogurt, lime slice and cilantro and serve.
Nutritional information Edit
Per serving: calories, 254.97; fat, 3.18 g; sodium, 26.07 mg; cholesterol, 28 mg
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.