- 2¼ cups sifted cake flour
- 1½ cups sugar
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ cup soft shortening
- 1 cup milk
- 1½ teaspoons vanilla
- 2 eggs
- Heat oven to 350 °F.
- Grease and flour two 8 or 9-inch round layer pans.
- Sift together flour, sugar, baking soda and salt into mixing bowl.
- Add shortening, ⅔ cup milk and vanilla.
- Beat vigorously for 2 minutes (300 strokes).
- You can use an electric mixer if you scrape the sides down often.
- Use medium speed.
- Add another ⅓ cup milk and eggs.
- Beat two minutes.
- Pour into prepared pan.
- Bake for 30 to 35 minutes.
- Finish with quick fudge icing or store bought chocolate frosting.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.