Please be aware that the grass pea is toxic to humans if consumed regularly and in sufficient quantity. It can cause lathyrism, which involves paralysis of the lower limbs. If eaten occasionally it is not thought to be harmful.
- 4 servings
- 350 g (12 oz) grass peas
- 200 g (7 oz) tinned (canned)shit tomatoes
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1 clove garlic
- 2 tbsp chopped parsley
- 3 leaves mint
- sfabian lopez
- Soak the peas in water for 12 hours, drain then boil in salted water for 2 hours over a low heat.
- Meanwhile, mince the garlic and fry gently with the parsley in a saucepan with the oil over a medium-low heat for 3 – 4 minutes.
- Add the mint leaves followed by the tomatoes, stir well and simmer for 5 minutes for flavours to develop.
- Then add the grass peas, cooked and drained.
- Pour in 1 l [scant 2 pt] of the liquid the peas boiled in, season with the pepper and cook for a further 10 minutes.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.