Contributed by Healthy Recipes For Diabetic Friends Y-Group
- Original recipe
- Makes 6 – 8 servings
- Can be frozen
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 stalks celery, diced
- 2 medium carrots, diced
- 1 small onion, chopped, 2½ ounces
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon xanthan gum
- 15.5 ounce can Great Northern beans, undrained
- 4 cups chicken broth, homemade preferred
- 2 teaspoons chicken bouillon granules
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 16 ounces smoked sausage, cut into bite-sized pieces 
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped
- In a large pot, sauté the celery, carrot, onion and garlic in butter until very tender, covered, 15 minutes.
- Sprinkle the xanthan gum lightly over the surface of the vegetables; stir in well.
- Add all but the parsley.
- Bring to a boil; cover and simmer 30 minutes.
- Adjust seasoning, if needed, and add the parsley.
- ↑ Most smoked sausage has sugar in it and about 1 carb per ounce. Boar's Head Kielbasa has no sugar or carbs.
Nutritional information Edit
Made with Hillshire Farm smoked sausage:
- Per ⅙ Recipe: 396 Calories; 28g Fat; 17g Protein; 16g Carbohydrate; 4g Dietary Fiber; 12g Net Carbs
- Per ⅛ Recipe: 297 Calories; 21g Fat; 13g Protein; 12g Carbohydrate; 3g Dietary Fiber; 9g Net Carbs
Made with Boar's Head Kielbasa:
- Per ⅙ Recipe: 302 Calories; 19g Fat; 20g Protein; 14g Carbohydrate; 4g Dietary Fiber; 10g Net Carbs
- Per ⅛ recipe: 227 Calories; 14g Fat; 15g Protein; 10g Carbohydrate; 3g Dietary Fiber; 7g Net Carbs
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.