- Makes 6 servings
- olive oil cooking spray
- 1 x 8-ounce (240 g) onion, chopped
- ½ pound (240 g) zucchini, grated
- ½ pound (240 g) summer squash, grated
- 3 ounces (80 ml) liquid egg substitute
- ⅓ cup crumbled low-fat feta cheese, about 1 ounce (30 g)
- 1 tablespoon (9 g) all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons 30 g) chopped fresh oregano or 1 tablespoon (15 ml) crushed dried
- 8 sheets phyllo dough
- Preheat oven to 375°F (190°C or gas mark 5).
- Lightly coat a non-stick skillet with cooking spray.
- Place over medium heat and add the onion and two squashes.
- Cook, stirring occasionally, until vegetables are soft and all liquid has evaporated, about 8 to 10 minutes.
- Place the vegetables in a bowl to cool slightly.
- Add the egg substitute, feta cheese, flour, and oregano.
- Stir to combine and set aside.
- Place a sheet of phyllo dough on a 9-inch (22.5 cm) pie plate, allowing any excess dough to loosely drape over the sides.
- Lightly coat with cooking spray.
- Repeat, using three more phyllo sheets, spraying after each addition.
- Pour the prepared vegetable-egg mixture into the pie shell and smooth out surface.
- Top the pie with the remaining four sheets of phyllo, spraying each layer with cooking spray before adding another sheet.
- Cut the phyllo 1 inch (2.5 cm) beyond the rim of the pie pan.
- Fold this dough over towards the center to make an edge just inside the rim.
- Bake for 40 to 45 minutes, until nicely browned and puffed.
- Allow to cool to room temperature before serving.
Nutritional information Edit
- 130 calories (18% calories from fat) | 6 g protein | 3g total fat (0.9g saturated fat) | 21g carbohydrate | 2g dietary fiber | 3 mg cholesterol | 261 mg sodium
- Diabetic exchanges: 1 carbohydrate (1 bread/starch) | 1 vegetable
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.