This recipe is for 3 servings.
- 1 lbs green beans
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 chopped tomatoes
- 1 tsp salt
- ⅓ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 3½ tsp sugar
- ½ – 2 cups water
- Trim beans and cut into 3 pieces, wash and drain.
- Put onion and tomato into a heavy pan.
- Sprinkle with salt and rub in lightly with fingers.
- Stir in the beans, olive oil and sugar, mix well.
- Cover and cook for 15 minutes over medium heat.
- Stir occasionally.
- The beans will lose their colour and soften.
- When all the moisture has been absorbed, stir-fry the beans for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add ½ cup water, cover and simmer for 40 to 50 minutes, till the beans are tender.
- Add more water if necessary, ½ cup at a time.
- When cooked, the dish should be very moist but not watery.
- Serve cold as part of a buffet.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.