Green Beans with Mustard, Shallots and Bacon from the Public Health Recipe Cookbook, Seattle & King County Department of Public Health—original source of recipe, in the public domain
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Serves: 6
- 1 pound fresh green beans, trimmed (or one 16-ounce package frozen green beans)
- 2 slices lean bacon
- ¼ cup shallots, sliced (or, alternatively, ¼ cup sliced green onions)
- 2 teaspoons brown or grainy mustard
- salt and pepper, to taste
- In a large saucepan, heat ½ cup water to boiling and add green beans.
- Cover and cook for 10–15 minutes or until beans are crisp-tender.
- Drain into a colander then rinse beans under cold water and set aside (if using frozen beans, cook according to package directions).
- In a medium skillet, cook bacon until crisp.
- Drain bacon on paper towels then crumble pieces and set aside.
- Add shallots to bacon drippings then raise heat to medium-high and cook until tender.
- Turn heat to low then stir in the mustard, salt and pepper.
- Add green beans and toss until evenly coated.
- Serve in a platter sprinkled with crumbled bacon.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.