- ½ tsp cumin seed
- ½ tsp mustard seed
- 1 bunch of coriander, large stems removed
- ¼ small onion roughly chopped
- ¼ cup unsweetened grated coconut (or ½ cup fresh coconut pulp)
- ½″ piece of ginger roughly chopped
- 2 serrano chilies (or other spicy green chili)
- 2 lemons juiced
- salt to taste
- Put the cumin seed and mustard seed in a small heavy bottomed pan and roast over heat until the spices are fragrant, but be careful not to burn them.
- The key is to keep the spices constantly moving in the pan by shaking it with a swirling motion.
- Put the spices in a spice grinder and pulverize.
- Add everything including the toasted spices into a blender and blitz until smooth.
- Add some water if the chutney is too thick then adjust salt to taste.
- Stored in an airtight container in the fridge your green chutney should last at least 1 week.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.