- Serves 4
- 300 g / 10 oz / 2 cups finely grated green papaya
- 1 handful tender green beans
- 2 tablespoons dried shrimp
- 2 tablespoons crushed roasted peanuts
- 1 clove garlic
- 2 shallots or small purple onions
- 2 or 3 fresh bird's eye chillies
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce
- 1 tablespoon palm sugar
- lime juice to taste
- dried chilli flakes (optional)
- Peel papaya and shred the flesh or grate into fine, long strands.
- Cut beans into short lengths.
- In a blender process the dried shrimp to a floss.
- Combine with the crushed peanuts and set aside.
- Use a mortar and pestle to pound the garlic, shallots and chillies to a paste.
- Add fish sauce and sugar, then the beans and pound gently so the beans don't lose their shape.
- Add papaya shreds and pound lightly.
- Turn out into a bowl, add lime juice and toss.
- Sprinkle with dried shrimp and peanuts, and if liked, some dried chilli flakes.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.