- 1 lb. salted Beef
- 2 scallions
- 4 c. fresh water
- 2 tsp. worcestershire sauce
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 Tbs. tomato paste
- Few sprigs parsley
- 1/2 c. chopped celery
- 11/2 c. shredded cabbage
- 2 very green plantains
- 2 celery stalks, with leaves
- 1 bay leaf, slightly crushed
- 3/4 tsp. salt
- 1 cinnamon stick
- Place the Beef in a heavy kettle with water, garlic, parsley, celery stalks, scallions, bay leaf and salt; bring to a brisk boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer until meat is tender.
- Strain broth, discarding the vegetables.
- Dice the Beef and set aside.
- Return the broth to the fire and bring again to a gentle boil.
- Add to the broth worcestershire sauce, tomato paste, and chopped celery.
- Slice plantains into thick rounds and fry in two or three Tbs. butter until golden.
- Pound each round with a wooden mallet until flat, and add immediately to the soup.
- Simmer an additional fifteen minutes.
- During the last few minutes of cooking time add cabbage, diced Beef and cinnamon stick.
- Discard cinnamon stick before serving the soup.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.