- 12 ounces green tomatoes or tomatillos, chopped
- 2 large onions, chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups apple cider vinegar
- 3 cups sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 chili pepper, sliced, to your taste
- Place the chopped vegetables in a large pot.
- Add the Sugar, vinegar, salt and spices. Stir well.
- Heat the mixture, stirring, until the Sugar has just about melted, then bring to the boil.
- Stir well, reduce heat a little, and simmer, uncovered, until the mixture is thick. This will take about an hour. Towards the end of cooking, add the chilli.
- If your chutney doesn't thicken as it should, drain off the extra liquid. (This could all depend on the type of tomato).
- Cool, then refrigerate. The chutney will thicken as it cools. Presumably it will freeze okay.
- I would pour the mixture into hot, sterilised bottles and seal them.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.