This recipe came from an estate sale. I obtained it when I purchased the family collection from the Novell Estate in Fort Worth, Texas in 1982.
- Contributed by Catsrecipes Y-Group
- 3 large ham hocks smoked
- 4 smoked pig tails
- ¼ cup vegetable oil
- 1 red pepper
- 1 large white onion chopped
- 1 pound mustard greens
- 1 pound turnip tops
- 1 pound spinach
- 1 pound kale
- 1 small head cabbage cut up
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons freshly ground black pepper
- Wash ham hocks and pig tails and place in enough cold water to boil until tender or place in pressure cooker with 2 cups water with 10 pound pressure for 30 minutes.
- Pick and wash greens thoroughly.
- Set cabbage and spinach aside.
- Chop mustard greens, turnips and kale then place in large pot with water, oil, onion and red pepper.
- Bring to a boil then reduce heat and simmer for 1½ hours.
- Add spinach, cabbage, salt and pepper and look 20 minutes longer.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.