- two pounds cassava leaves;
- cleaned, stems removed; and pounded in a mortar with a pestle
- one cup peanuts, roasted and shelled
- In a large pot, heat two or three cups of water to a boil.
- Add greens, cover and cook until tender (twenty minutes to an hour depending on type of greens).
- While the greens are cooking:
- Crush the peanuts with a mortar and pestle (or crush them under a rolling pin).
- When the greens are tender:
- If using peanuts: Reduce heat, add crushed peanuts, cover and cook for an additional ten minutes.
- If using Peanut butter: Remove most of the liquid from the greens, mix some of it with the Peanut butter to make a smooth sauce.
- Add the sauce to the greens and simmer on a very low heat for a few minutes.
- Season with salt, black pepper, and Cayenne or red pepper, to taste.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.