This golden, nature-hungry recipe has a vegetarian secret: artichokes. But this rich vegetable side dish is made and mixed with balsamic vinegar, soy sauce, olive oil, and ginger, as it delivers a soothing aroma that it relishes. Chili oil and hot sauce often work for this for drizzling, too.
- 4 large artichokes
- ¼ cup balsamic vinegar
- ¼ cup water
- ¼ cup soy sauce, light
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 1 tablespoon minced ginger
- chili oil, optional
- hot sauce, optional
- Slice artichoke tops off, crosswise. Trim stems.
- Boil or steam artichokes until bottoms pierce easily, or a petal pulls off easily.
- Drain artichokes and cool. Cut each artichoke in half lengthwise and scrape out fuzzy center and any purple tipped petals.
- Mix remaining ingredients in a large plastic bag. Place artichokes in the bag and coat all sides of the artichokes.
- For the best flavor, marinate in the mixture overnight in the refrigerator but marinate at least one hour.
- Drain artichokes. Place each cut, side down, on a grill over a solid bed of medium coals or a gas grill on medium. Grill until lightly browned on the cut side, 5 to 7 minutes.
- Turn artichokes over and drizzle some of the remaining marinade over the artichokes. Grill until petal tips are lightly charred, 3 to 4 minutes more.
- Serve hot or at room temperature. Drizzle with the chili oil and/or hot sauce, if desired.