- 1 tbsp red chili peppers, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp dried oregano leaves
- 1 tsp salt
- ¼ cup lime juice
- ¼ cup orange juice
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 2 pounds flank or skirt steak
- ¾ cup yellow cornmeal or arepa flour
- ⅓ cups Monterey jack cheese, shredded
- 3 tbsp melted butter, divided
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ boiling water (¾ cup if needed)
- ⅔ cups fresh corn kernels
- 1 pound California avocado, sliced ⅜-inch thick
- 1 red bell pepper, halved and seeded
- 1 yellow bell pepper, halved and seeded
- 8 oz California avocados
- ½ cup sour cream
- 1 tbsp lime juice
- red chili peppers or bell peppers, finely chopped - as needed for garnish
- corn husks -- as needed for garnish
- lime wedges - as needed for garnish
- Combine first 8 ingredients in a shallow container.
- Remove about ¼ cup marinade and reserve; add steak to container, turning to coat meat on both sides and marinate at least 1 hour.
- To prepare arepas, process cornmeal in a blender until finely ground (arepa flour doesn’t need further grinding).
- Transfer to large bowl and stir in cheese, 2 tablespoons melted butter and salt.
- Add enough boiling water to make a very thick batter; stir in corn.
- Brush griddle with remaining 1 tablespoon melted butter and heat until medium-hot.
- Using about 1 tablespoon batter for each arepa, drop batter onto hot griddle and cook until golden brown, about 2 minutes on each side.
- Keep warm.
- Drain steak from marinade and place on medium-hot grill or in grill pan.
- Cook 5 minutes on each side, or to desired doneness.
- Brush avocado slices and bell pepper halves with reserved marinade and grill, turning once, until lightly browned with grill marks.
Avocado cream Edit
- Cut avocado into chunks and blend with sour cream, lime juice and cayenne in blender until smooth.
- Slice steak and place a few pieces on each arepa.
- Cut bell pepper into strips and arrange over steak; top with grilled avocado slices and a dollop of avocado cream.
- Sprinkle with chopped red chilies; garnish with lime wedges and corn husks filled with chopped chilies.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.