- Lightly coat 10¾ x 7-inch baking pan with nonstick cooking spray.
- In large saucepan, combine water and salt.
- Bring to a boil.
- Add cornmeal in slow stream, whisking constantly to keep lumps from forming.
- Reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer, stirring continuously with wooden spoon, until thickened, about 18 minutes.
- Add freshly ground pepper to taste.
- Spread cornmeal into prepared baking pan.
- Set aside until cool and firm, at least 30 minutes or overnight.
- Invert cornmeal cake onto work surface, and cut into 6 squares.
- Coat nonstick skillet with cooking spray, and heat over medium-high heat.
- Cook cornmeal cakes, in batches if necessary, until golden brown, 2 to 4 minutes per side.
- Serve topped with Shiitake Mushroom Gravy.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.