- 4 or 5 leeks
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 4 or 5 pared potatoes
- 3 cups boiling water
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 3 cups boiling milk
- 2 egg yolks
- ½ cup cream (or sour cream)
- salt and pepper
- Remove green stalks and roots from 4 or 5 leeks.
- Wash well and cut into small pieces.
- There should be approximately 1˝ cups.
- Melt 1 tablespoon butter in a heavy soup pot.
- Add leeks and sauté slowly on a low heat until leeks are soft and transparent.
- Dice 4 or 5 pared potatoes (approx. 3˝ cups), add to leeks along with 3 cups boiling water and 2 teaspoons salt.
- Cook for 30 minutes.
- Strain mixture through sieve or food mill and return to the pot.
- Add 3 cups boiling milk, stir constantly and add 1 tablespoon butter.
- Then add 2 egg yolks blended with ½ cup cream slowly to hot soup (sour cream may be used).
- Add salt and pepper and finely chopped parsley if desired.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.