This recipe can be served either as a delicious appetizer, or as a main course. It is also known as Circassian Chicken.
- 1 Chicken, cut into pieces
- 1 medium whole Potato, peeled
- 1 small whole Onion, peeled
- 1 small whole carrot, peeled
- 4 cups water
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 2 (1 inch thick) slices stale French bread, crusts removed
- 14 ounces walnuts, ground
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 2 teaspoons ground red pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- In a large saucepan over medium heat, place Chicken, Potato, Onion and carrot.
- Pour in water, and bring to a boil.
- Skim any foam from the surface, and season with 1 1/2 teaspoons salt.
- Reduce heat, and simmer for 1hour, or until Chicken and vegetables are tender.
- Strain and reserve broth. Discard vegetables.
- Allow Chicken to cool, then remove skin and bones, and shred meat into very small pieces.
- Soften the bread in some of the chicken broth, then squeeze out.
- In a large bowl, combine bread, ground walnuts, garlic, red pepper, and 1 teaspoon salt.
- Using your hands, mix well like you're mixing meatballs.
- Place mixture in cheesecloth, and squeeze oil that the ground walnuts produce into a small bowl; set aside.
- Place walnut mixture into large bowl.
- Slowly blend in 1 cup of reserved chicken broth until consistency is like thick soup.
- Place shredded Chicken in a porcelain or glass serving dish.
- Stir in 2 to 3 tablespoons of walnut mixture.
- Cover Chicken with remaining walnut mixture so the Chicken is not visible.
- Smooth surface with the back of a spoon.
- Pour reserved walnut oil over the top.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.