- 4 ounces peeled and roasted peanuts, just under a cup
- 5 cups chicken stock
- salt, freshly ground pepper
- hot sauce, adding to taste
- 1 cup heavy cream, or evaporated milk
- 1 tablespoon Angostura bitters
- dry sherry or vermouth (optional)
- croutons or chopped chives
- Put the peanuts and enough chicken stock to cover in an electric blender and blend on high speed to a smooth paste.
- Pour into a heavy saucepan, add the rest of the stock.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper and hot pepper sauce.
- Cook over low heat, stirring from time to time, for about 15 minutes.
- Stir in the cream and cook, stirring, until heated through.
- Stir in the Angostura bitters.
- A tablespoon of dry sherry or dry vermouth may be added to each serving.
- Garnish with croutons and serve hot or chill and serve sprinkled with chives.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.