Serves 4 with rice and other dishes.
- ½ piece fresh ginger, sliced
- 1 small onion, sliced
- 1 or 2 fresh, hot red chiles, seeded, sliced
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp sugar
- ¼ tsp turmeric
- 2 cups coconut milk
- 1 whole red snapper or similar fish, about 1 pound
- 1 slice Laos galangal s.c.
- 2 stalks lemon grass or two slices lemon
- ¼ lb spinach or Swiss chard, coarsely chopped
- Process the ginger, onion, chile, salt, sugar, turmeric and ¼ cup of the coocnut milk into a smooth paste.
- Set aside.
- Grill fish over charcoal or in a gas or electric broiler for 2 minutes on each side.
- Put the remaining coconut milk and the spice paste in a large skillet and bring to a boil over moderate heat.
- Add the Laos and lemon grass and simmer for 5 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add the fish and greens, cook for 15 minutes basting occasionally.
- Serve warm.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.