Kazakh deep-fried herb fritters
- 3 tbsp dill freshly chopped fine
- 3 tbsp parsley freshly chopped fine
- 1 tbsp garlic minced
- 9 tbsp scallions chopped fine
- 1 tbsp black pepper freshly ground
- 8 tbsp butter
- 1½ tsp salt
- 1 tsp cider vinegar
- ¼ cup sour cream
- 2 tbsp butter
- ½ tsp flour
- 6 tbsp finely minced onion
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 tsp black pepper freshly ground
- 1 tbsp lemon or lime juice freshly- squeezed and strained
- Place the flour into a deep mixing bowl.
- Make a hollow in the center.
- Add the water into the hollow, salt, and 2 t of the butter.
- Stir slowly until all of the ingredients are well mixed and the water is totally absorbed.
- Beat vigorously with a large spoon until a firm, stiff dough is formed.
- Gather the dough into a ball.
- On floured surface roll the dough ball out into a rectangle approx. 16" x 18".
- Brush the dough with the remaining butter, fold into quarters, then roll it out as thinly as possible.
- Cut into a 16" x 18" rectangle the cut that into 48 each 2" squares.
- Combine the salt, pepper, scallions, garlic, parsley, and dill.
- Cut the butter into tiny bits and chill until the dough is ready.
- Place a teaspoon of the filling mix into the center of each square, add a piece of the butter to each.
- Draw up the corners and pinch them together firmly thus closing the filling into the dough.
- Heat enough oil in a deep pot.
- Heat to 375°F and drop in 4 – 6 of the filled squares.
- Cook for 4 minutes, remove from the oil, drain, and serve warm.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.