Ingredients[edit | edit source]
- 4 pita breads (6 inches in diameter)
- 1/2 cup plain yogurt
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh or 1 teaspoon dried mint leaves
- 1 teaspoon Sugar
- 1 small cucumber, seeded and chopped (3/4 cup)
- 1 pound ground Lamb or Beef
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano leaves
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 small Onion, chopped (1/4 cup)
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 cups shredded lettuce
- 1 medium tomato, chopped (3/4 cup)
Directions[edit | edit source]
Split each pita bread halfway around edge with knife; separate to form pocket.
Mix yogurt, mint and Sugar in small bowl.
Stir in cucumber.
Mix Lamb, water, lemon juice, salt, cumin, oregano, pepper, garlic and Onion.
Shape mixture into 4 thin patties.
Heat oil in 10-inch skillet over medium heat.
Cook patties in oil 10 to 12 minutes, turning frequently, until no longer pink in center.
Place cooked patty in each pita pocket.
Top with yogurt mixture, lettuce and tomato.
Microwave Directions[edit | edit source]
Omit oil. Arrange patties on microwavable rack in microwavable dish.
Cover loosely with microwavable paper towel and microwave on high 7 to 9 minutes, rotating dish 1/2 turn after 3 minutes, until no longer pink in center.
Let stand covered 3 minutes.
- Makes 4 sandwiches