- 2 cups dried black beans, picked over rinsed and soaked
- 4 cups water
- 2 large onion, chopped
- 1 cup chopped green pepper
- 1 tbsp minced garlic
- 2 bay leaves
- ½ tsp salt (if desired)
- ¼ tsp fresh ground black pepper
- ¼ tsp oregano
- ¼ tsp thyme
- 3 tbsp cider vinegar
- 1 (4 oz) jar pimentos, drained and chopped
- Drain soaked beans and add them to water in medium saucepan.
- Bring to boil, reduce heat, cover pan and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Add onions, green pepper, garlic, bay leaves, salt, pepper, thyme and simmer the ingredients 1 hour longer.
- Check after 40 minutes add more water if necessary.
- Stir in vinegar, simmer for another minute.
- Five minutes before serving the beans remove the bay leaves, stir in pimento and heat the beans, stirring often to avoid scorching.
- Good served with rice.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.