This seafood-based chowder is made and packed with real vegetables and cheese and is great with any seafood, as it keeps a fresh, hot aroma with the broth. For a red-hot, bold zest, chili powder, garlic and heavy cream work for this recipe, too.
- 2 lbs. halibut, thawed if necessary
- ½ cup finely chopped onions, red or white only
- ½ cup finely chopped green peppers (bell or Jalapeño)
- ½ cup finely chopped celery
- ½ cup finely chopped carrots
- 6 tbsp. butter or margarine, divided
- 3 cups chicken broth
- ¾ tsp. salt
- ½ tsp. freshly ground white pepper
- 2 cups milk, regular or skimmed/reduced fat only
- 3 tbsp. flour
- 2 ½ cups shredded sharp Cheddar Cheese
- 1 tbsp. minced parsley
- Remove skin and bones from the halibut.
- Cut into bite-sized pieces with a kitchen knife.
- Sauté vegetables in 3 tablespoons butter. Add halibut, chicken broth, salt and pepper.
- Simmer, covered for 5 minutes. Add milk and heat gently.
- Combine remaining 3 tablespoons butter with flour and add to chowder. Cook and stir until slightly thickened.
- Add cheese and sprinkle with parsley. Serve hot and plain or with any seafood or other main dishes but scoop some of the cooked chowder in a large bowl.
Nutritional Information Edit
Servings: 3 scoops per bowl